Thursday, November 29, 2012

Hack Night - Day 85


One of the reasons we came to California besides doing research towards Brett's PhD was to get a feel for the industry here and for Brett to meet other programers ( AKA hackers in his circle ).

One great opportunity for this is "Hack Night".  These are gatherings for computer geeks to work on projects and either help out others who need help or ask for help if you are stuck on something.  Held in actual company offices it promises to be a perfect match for Brett.

Off to Downtown SanFrancisco we go.  


It is in a building built in 1912 that used to be a rope manufacturer.  What an amazing space.  The brick walls, wood ceilings, old metal beams.  Just WOW.  So, out comes my camera.  I ask permission to take pictures of the buildings features  (which for ME are not the computers and equipment). The details are great,  however, you really have to be there to feel how fantastic the space is.









Once I am done I take my KOBO out and read for a few hours until it is time to go back to Berkeley.    It was a successful evening  (for both of us -  especially since I was not expecting such a score).  Brett is overjoyed at his time spent with what he calls  "these are my people".  At least ten times on the Bart back he says the had sooooo much fun tonight.   That my friends, is why we came here.  For Brett to be with his people :)

One another note:  I noticed there were actually 12 girls out of 50 in the group. Good to see how one generation is changing things.

No comments:

Post a Comment